Did you know there are 9 Common Keto Diet Mistakes?
We know that the keto diet plan promises weight loss. Yet there are 9 common keto diet mistakes you want to avoid.
The Ketogenic diet is all about increasing calories from fat and very low carb. It requires 80% calories from fat, 15% from protein, and only 5% from carbs.
After getting all the nutrition appropriately needed for this diet, your body is shifting into a state called ‘ketosis.’
This state of your body burn fats instead of sugar, and some of these fats are converted into ketones. These ketones become your body’s energy, and trust me; your body loves them.
Emerging research suggests that a ketogenic diet reduces stress and improves your mental health.
This low carb diet not only keeps you focused but also potentially speeds up the recovery process. But beware, these feelings of more incredible energy and enhanced mental health don’t happen overnight, there are chances of a keto diet can go wrong, and when it goes wrong, you will suffer dealing with it.
So we’ll go over some misconceptions, discussing it’s sabotaging results and the remedy.
1. Giving up because of the keto flu:
So you have started the keto diet and now looking forward to its many advantages. However, after a few days of experience, you are about to feel tired, have a headache, find it difficult to concentrate, and easily annoyed.
Congratulations, you are doing well, this is commonly referred to as ‘keto flu’, actually it’s not a flu and, it’s not dangerous either, but it’s unpleasant.
Now, most of people make this common mistake, that they give up when they suffer from this keto flu, they don’t know how to overcome this state of body.
The Keto flu is also called carb flu when you first start following the keto diet plan. It is caused by your body when it’s adapting to the new diet plan consisting of very low carb, switching to a very low carb and high fat is a significant change and your body needs some time to adapt to this new way of eating.
Typically it’s symptoms last from a few days to two weeks, and up to a month at most. Now we’ll go over the keto flu results that harm you in the initial stages of this keto diet.
Sabotaging results :
For some people this transition period may be challenging, they may experience two or more of the following symptoms.
- Sugar cravings
- Muscle cramps
- Poor concentration
- Stomach pain
- Difficulty sleeping
These symptoms may last for a week and some people may experience them for a longer time, it causes many people to give up and say no to this diet. Now to overcome these harmful results of keto flu, we’ll discuss a few tips to stay healthy in this state of the body.
Keto flow can make you feel miserable, there are some ways to reduce it’s flu-like symptoms and helps your body to get through this period quickly.
- Drinking enough water: Following the keto diet plan can increase the risk of dehydration, by drinking enough water you can reduce symptoms like fatigue and muscle pain, drinking more water with a pinch of unrefined salt is also the best way to remedy keto flu, but the question is how much should you drink? So you are suggested to drink 2.7 liters of water per day to overcome the keto flu symptoms.
- Avoid challenging exercises: We know that activities are essential for staying healthy, but challenging exercises should be avoided when experiencing keto flu symptoms. It’s a good idea to give your body a rest in this keto flu period because your body suffers fatigue, muscle cramps, and stomach discomfort in the first week of following the keto diet. Light activities like yoga, walking may improve these symptoms.
- Getting sufficient sleep: Lack of sleep causes irritability and fatigue, these are common complaints of people following the keto diet. So if you are facing troubles falling asleep you may try one of the following.
-reduce intake of caffeine.
-Adding Epsom salt and lavender oil to your bath in a relaxing way to make you ready for sleep.
-Shut off your cell phone, television, computers to create a dark environment in your bedroom.
- Make sure to eat enough fat: Eating very low carb can make you crave food that is not allowed to eat on the keto diet such as cookies, pasta, and bread. However, eating enough fat will reduce cravings and keep you feeling satisfied.
2. Not drinking enough water:
We know that staying hydrated is essential in every diet, but water intake becomes more important when you follow the keto diet plan. Dehydration is one of the most common side effects of the keto diet, and the reason is that carbohydrates are responsible for holding water and sodium in your body. When you start eating low carb, they are excreted, which means your body remains with less water. Now it is clear that you need to drink more water when you eat keto than on other diets.
United States National library of medicine suggests that the average adult drink between 91-125 fluid ounces (that’s 2.7 to 3.7 liters) of water each day. Still, we may need to drink more on low carb diet because, in reality, everyone is different, our body consumes energy at different rates depending upon both internal and external factors. Now we’ll go over some of the side effects of insufficient water intake.
There are several side effects of dehydration and it’s essential to be aware of it so that you can catch them early.
- Urine becomes dark-colored
- Dry skin
- Dry mouth
- Feeling tired or groggy
- Slower mental performance
- Feeling dizzy
- Faster heartbeat
- Sunken eyes
To overcome dehydration you are suggested to follow these steps:
- Drink more water: When you are on keto you need to drink more water and stay hydrated, but following a specific number of ounces or liters can make your body over hydrated or electrolyte imbalance. The goal is to have as much water as you need. A good rule of thumb is to drink until your urine is light yellow.
- Electrolytes are just crucial as water: Electrolytes (sodium, potassium, and magnesium) are key to hydration, and a big reason for having enough water is that it can dilute electrolyte in your body
- Tea, coffee, and sparkling water: In general research shows that all drinks other than plain water are just as good, even caffeinated drinks are hydrating. People drinking coffee is just hydrating as water and similarly, tea is also found hydrating.
- Mineral water: Mineral water is an excellent source of magnesium (especially for preventing cramp).
3. Not eating enough fats:
One of the common mistakes people make on the keto diet is not consuming enough fats. When you are on a keto diet, it is vital that you eat high fats which allows your body to become keto adapted, because you have to replace calories that previously came from carbs with high-fat sources.
It may be difficult for you to digest the proper amount of fats, it may take time because your body is not adopted to high-fat foods yet, but believe me, eating enough fat will help avoid hunger during the keto diet.
When your fat consumption is too low following the keto diet plan, problems can arise, for example:
If you are not meeting your fat needs regularly, you’ll be putting your body in a state that will be adopted to decrease your energy expenditures and increase your hunger and cravings. During this process, your protein intake is higher than it should be relative to fats. And your body will treat protein as glucose, and in this way, your body will not be able to go into ketosis.
You don’t have to be worried, Because not meeting your fat goals is not a huge issue, we’ll discuss some tips to overcome fats’ deficiency in your body.
- Using full-fat ingredient: Start adding fatty food sources into your groceries hauls, such as sour cream, heavy cream, and avocados.
- Fat bombs: Fat bombs are vital among keto diet followers for good reasons, they not only help you get the proper amount of fat and satisfy your cravings for sweets in your keto diet.
- Adding fats to veggies: As a beginner, you have to avoid the fear of not eating enough vegetables. By thinking that you may go over your daily carb intake stick to low carb veggies. Adding a great source of fat is a great way to maintain the keto diet.
Following are some of the low carb veggies you can choose from:
And then you may add fat source such as:
-Macadamia nut oil
-unrefined coconut oil
Which Fruits are Keto?
Make a hot beverage – It’s a delicious, creamy drink: You can enjoy delicious and creamy drinks following the keto diet plan.
How to make it:
Pick a drink:
-Matcha green tea
-1 tbsp ghee
-1 Tbsp grass-fed butter
-1 Tbsp coconut oil
-1 Tbsp coconut cream
Combine all the ingredients and mix until it becomes foamy as you like.
4. Keto Diet Mistake: Weight loss stalls:
Many people start following the keto diet plan with great success. They lose 4 to 6 pounds within the first couple of weeks. They are doing well, but suddenly they enter a stage where their weight loss stops, even if they try all the ways they have been through in the initial stages for weight loss.
When you maintain a healthy diet and work out to shed fats and maintain a healthy weight, the starting week may seem successful due to rapid weight loss. Still, after those initial weeks of weight loss, you may find that the same tactics are not making any progress anymore. This period of being stuck in the same place is called a weight loss plateau.
There are many reasons your weight loss may be stalling on a keto diet. Most commonly, your weight loss stops when your body has adjusted to ketosis or it could also be the quality of food you are eating.
You have to keep in mind that just because you are on the keto diet doesn’t mean you have to eat as much as you want. Practicing portion control is essential.
Keto weight plateaus can be frustrating if your weight is budging anymore, following are few things you can do to break a weight loss.
- Be careful with dairy and nuts: Most nuts and full-fat dairy are allowed when you follow a keto diet plan, but you have to be careful because too much of either can stall your progress.
- Try to fix your snack habit: Sometimes snacking is just a habit that needs to be broken, because even with low-carb snacks, carbs and calories adds up. If you face trouble to avoid this habit of too much snacking, add protein or fats to your meal instead of these low carb snacks.
- Get sufficient protein and fats: Fat and protein intake should be just right, not too much or too little.
- Adding exercise: Regular exercises, even just walking can improve your health and burn more energy.
- Pay attention to your sleep: Introduce a good sleep routine.
5. Not sleeping well:
The Keto diet has some fantastic benefits, but neglecting your sleep is like stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.
Several studies show that diet and sleep quality are inter-related. Adequate sleep is essential for health and optimal well-being. For example, a 2018 study labeled rest as ‘extraordinarily important.’
And especially in the case of weight loss, quality of sleep is essential. According to a 2012 study, people who aren’t getting adequate sleep are more likely to gain weight. So quality sleep, as you can see is vital for weight loss and sticking to the diet.
Unfortunately, insufficient sleep can negate many of the advantages provided by the keto diet, poor quality sleep may cause:
- Increased hunger
- Weight loss difficulty
- Sugar craving
- Insulin resistance
- Brain fog
- Less energy and more fatigue
If you aren’t getting quality sleep, it can even raise your stress and lower your willpower.
Here are the ways to improve the quality of your sleep
- Cut sweets from your diet: Avoid sweetened drinks, pastries, and try fresh fruits instead. The more candies you eat during the day, the more you’ll wake at night.
- Give more time to your exercise routine: Adding 30 to 60 minutes of anything from walking to weight lifting to yoga in your keto diet plan will improve your sleep quality.
- Weight loss improves your sleep quality: You more likely to lose weight when you get god sleep, but it works both ways. According to Harvard Medical School losing weight improves sleep quality and decreases your sleep apnea (disruption of breathing during sleep).
- Eating too many snacks and the Keto Food List:
Snacking shouldn’t be happening daily, in fact, you shouldn’t feel the need to snack at all. The good thing about the keto diet is that, it holds your hunger for hours, and if you continuously need to snack, combine more fats and protein to your meal.
Part of a keto diet requires that you don’t snack, or do it less often because there are some significant reasons for avoiding too much snacking on the keto diet.
The biggest reason is unnecessary insulin stimulation and consequent issues with insulin resistance.
Check out a detailed explanation here to clarify the above statement.
You are suggested to include some healthy keto snacks to your diet and avoid eating snacks that slow down your keto diet plan results. The following are some of best keto snacks.
- Hard-boiled eggs: Hard-boiled eggs are enriched with proteins and nutrients, very easy to make.
- Coconut: A coconut is a great option, one half cup o shredded coconuts contain 13g of fat and 2.5g of net carb, coconut oil is also a great choice, you can cook your vegetables in it.
- Pork rinds: All of us assume that pork rinds are the opposite of healthy keto snacks when we start following a keto diet pian, but when prepared with the right oil and spices, it contains zero carbs which are ideal for the keto diet.
- Avocados: Half of the avocado contains 15g of fat and less than 2g of carbohydrates.
- Fresh vegetables: According to healthline.com, the best vegetables for keto diet are:
These vegetables are healthy keto-friendly and, they can avoid your snack cravings on keto.
6. Overeating dairy:
We know that some dairy food is an excellent source of protein, potassium, fat, and calcium, but the keto diet is a bit more restrictive because other dairy products are rich in sugar, which are equal to carbs.
According to Scott Keatley, RD of Keatley Medical Nutrition Therapy “Dairy products have sugar in them” and this is the sugar your body uses to take you out of ketosis. So you can’t overeat dairy following a keto diet.
According to medical experts, dairy products like sweetened yogurt, ice cream, and flavored milk can cause weight loss stalling on the keto diet. So they have to be eaten in smaller portions or you may swap to a low carb alternative.
In the past, results from observational studies show that too much dairy consumption could increase prostate cancer risk.(detail) .
Overeating dairy also causes skin breakouts and increase cravings.
- Grass-fed and organic: Grass-fed and organic dairy are some of the healthiest and highest quality dairy products.
University of Minnesota recent studies shows that cows that are grass-fed naturally yield dairy with a high level of omega-3 fatty acids, as opposed to a higher amount of omega-6 fatty acids and making them healthier from a fat perspective
- Some of the best dairy options for keto diet plan followers are:
7. Forgetting about hidden carbohydrates:
When you are grocery shopping, it’s essential to be careful with low carb food products, because many of them may contain enough carbs to interrupt your ketogenic efforts. The more hidden carbs you eat, the longer you will stay out of ketosis, and more are the chances that you will experience cravings and weight gain.
If you are not paying close attention to all the keto diet products you are buying, then these hidden sugar included in your meal could be holding you back from reaching ketosis, and you will find it very difficult to stay in the keto diet.
To avoid hidden carb on the keto diet you need:
-To check the nutrition facts label of every diet product. nutrition facts label
-Check out all the Names of sugar to quickly identify sugar in the ingredient list.
-Discover Keto Dark Chocolate in The Ultimate Keto Chocolate Guide
8. Overeating Protein:
You might know that many keto dieters are worried that overeating protein might kick them out of ketosis, and it would be difficult for them to stick to a keto diet anymore. There are some harmful effects of overeating protein, we’ll discuss a few sabotaging results below.
- Weight loss stalls: If you consume too many calories of protein, this can lead you to weight loss stalling.
- Bad breath: Overeating protein leads to bad breath, especially when carbohydrates intake is deficient.
- Diarrhea: If you consume protein sources such as fried meat, fish, and poultry you are more likely to suffer from diarrhea.
- Heart disease: According to a 2010 study, a large amount of red meat and high-fat dairy increased coronary heart disease risk in women.
For most of the Keto diet plan followers with low physical activity, experts recommend eating a daily average of 0,8g of protein per kg body of weight. If you want to choose high protein foods, select healthier options. This will help you lower the risk of some of the harmful effects of too much protein intake. More nutritious protein foods include:
-Grass-fed and organic dairy
-Eggs from pastured hens
9. Stressful life:
Stress not only affects your diet, but it also affects your overall health. At the beginning of the keto diet, it is essential to keep stress level low, because keeping your stress low will help your body to do the better transition from a high carb to low carb diet.
According to Healthline, Stress makes it very challenging for your body to reach ketosis.
Research shows, especially chronic stress and lack of sleep can badly impact weight loss.
The following are some beneficial tips to reduce stress on the keto diet;
-Doing light yoga and stretching
-Meditating for 20 minutes a day
-Having a deep tissue massage
-Slowly walking in nature letting your mind wander
-Playing around and spending time with your family.
Additional Reading tip: Keto Diet Plan – Top 10 Best Ways To Start For Beginners