How to eat keto at the movies…
You’ve started out the keto diet and your friends go ahead an plan a movie night at the cinema.
You suddenly start worrying about going because what exactly would you eat there?
Could you maybe cheat and skip keto for one night?
The best answer would be no, there’s no point to cheat because there are plenty of ways to eat keto at the movies.
I understand that you might be worried about going out in social settings where keto food is not promised,
and that being able to have a keto snack at the movies seems impossible, but actually, it is very quite possible.
There are many available options for you to eat keto at the cinema, and we will go over everything in this article.
Snacking can be scary on the keto diet, but it’s not about avoiding snacking.
It’s about knowing what food items you can properly snack on and which ones won’t kick you out of ketosis.
You shouldn’t have to skip gatherings with friends or your family just because you are scared of messing up your diet.
You won’t mess it up for one movie date, because I will explain how easy it is to eat keto at the cinema.
Table of Contents
Why you should avoid the snacks sold over the counter at the movies:
Most movie cinemas have not yet adapted their snack options to people with specific diets, such as people on the keto diet,
so the available options for keto-dieters are very minimal to none.
In addition, most of the food sold at cinemas is very heavily loaded in high fats and high carbs.
Although you should be eating high fats during keto, the snacks at the movie theatre are equally as heavy in fats as in carbs,
so they don’t work for the keto diet.
The main snacks offered at the counters at movie theatres are pizza, popcorn,
cotton candy, high-sugar sodas, ice cream, nachos, etc.
Although there are keto-friendly versions of these foods in some stores or home-made in your kitchen,
the ones sold in movie theatres are not keto-friendly whatsoever.
Not only do all of these foods rank in severely large amounts of calories, but they are packed with carbs and sugars.
And of course, these high carbs and sugars will easily kick you out of ketosis right away.
So your best bet is to just avoiding these snacks at the movie theatre all together.
Wait a second, what is ketosis?
Well if you are new to the keto diet, ketosis is a metabolic state in which your body produces ketones
and burns stored fats for fuel and energy, instead of glucose.
This happens when you begin a keto diet, meaning you eat minimal to no carbs, which in result forces your body
to burn your stored and unwanted fats, rather than carbs.
When consuming high amounts of fats on the keto diet, your body will
adapt to burning these fats, leading to weight loss.
The #1 reason to eat keto at the movies:
The number one reason would be: not to kick your body out of ketosis.
As you might already know, its takes a few days of strict eating to even get your body into ketosis.
Usually, it takes the first 7-10 days of the diet for your body to become adapted.
So kicking yourself out of ketosis just to have a few unhealthy snacks at the movie theatre wouldn’t be a
smart move considering you will disbalance your diet, kick yourself out of ketosis,
and then will have to spend another week or two with strict eating in order to get your body back into ketosis.
The worst way to think about it is that you spent weeks getting your body to adapt and concentrate on this weight-loss diet,
and by kicking yourself out of ketosis will make those past few weeks completely useless, as you just ruined all of your hard work.
There’s absolutely no reason to make it harder on yourself.
Recommended reading: How to get into ketosis swiftly
5 Common Keto Movie Snack Traps You Must Avoid:
1. The butter in the buttered popcorn is not real – The butter pump which you can use for your popcorn at the movie theatre isn’t real butter.
2. It’s more of a butter flavored oil mixed with chemicals for flavor.
3. Small sized food doesn’t mean its better for you – you might think that ordering a small pizza or small popcorn box might mean you can still eat it on keto –
but the calories, carbs and sugars are still too high.
4. The snacks which are advertised as healthy, aren’t always that healthy – don’t let the labels fool you. Always make sure to check the ingredient list to see what’s really inside
5. Sugar free drinks don’t mean they are good for you – something might be advertised as sugar free, but it is most probably packed with artificial sweeteners which are equally as bad.
6. Popcorn might seem like the healthiest snacks, but it’s not – the added butter and salts in movie theatre popcorn make it very keto-unfriendly.
Top 10 Keto Snack Recipes You Can Make and Take with you to the Movies:
So let’s get down to how you can actually eat keto snacks at the movies.
There are so many quick and easy recipes to follow which will allow you to be keto-friendly to your diet and not kick you out of ketosis.
Here are the top 10 Keto Movie Snack Recipes:
1. Trail Mix: Mix in together your favorite nuts and raisins for some keto-friendly trail mix. Nuts are super healthy and high in fibers and healthy fats.
2. Keto Peanut Butter Cookies: Mix together ½ cup of your keto sweetener, 1 egg, and 1 cup peanut butter, roll into balls, flatten, and bake!
3. Berry Mix: Mix together raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries for a keto-friendly fruit mix.
4. Sugar free coconut fat bombs: Mix together ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, 1 cup coconut butter, and a bit of stevia powder for taste.
5. Spiced pecans: Cover your chosen amount of pecans with savory tastes such as garlic powder, rosemary, himalayan salt, lemon zest, paprika, olive oil, and pop into the oven until cooked.
6. Guac and veggie box: Put together some guacamole and your favorite veggies for a keto-friendly movie snack.
7. Hard-boiled eggs: Simple but easy and fun!
8. Buffalo-covered cauliflower bites: Mix chopped cauliflower with some buffalo sauce and a little bit of olive oil, pop in the oven to cook, and enjoy on your next movie night!
9. Cold cut salami and olives: Simply put together your favorite salami pieces and almonds into a box and take along with you for your movie outing.
10. Vegetables and cream cheese: Prep some of your favorite keto-friendly veggies such as carrots or celery with a low carb cream cheese.
The top 10 Keto Movie Snacks You Can Buy:
If you’re not into making or preparing your own snacks, there are plenty of keto snacks you can
purchase in your local grocery store or online.
Remember to always check the labels and ingredient list before purchasing any keto snacks,
just to double check that they are actually keto-friendly and won’t kick you out of ketosis.
Here are my top 10 Keto Movie Snack favorites:
1. Pork Rinds: This crispy snack is high in fats and proteins, and the perfect salty snack to munch on at the movies.
2. Dark Chocolate Bars: Grab an authentic, high percentage cocoa bar for an ultimate sweet dessert for the movies.
3. String Cheese: Cheese is a very keto- friendly snack, so grabbing a few bars for the movies and mixing it with some almonds would be the ideal snack to munch on.
4. Zero-Sugar Beef Jerky: This high protein jerky is the perfect movie snack.
5. Sunflower seeds and pistachios: This is just another alternative to movie popcorn.
6. Perfect Keto Bars: These small and cute protein bars are the perfect small snack for the movie theatres.
7. Project 7 Sour Fruit Gummies: These gummy bites are sweetened with cane sugar, stevia, and allulose, making them a good keto snack
8. HighKey Chocolate Chip Mini Cookies: These sweet cookies are the ideal alternative to normal sugar-packed cookies.
9. Quest Protein Chips: These chips are low in carbs, high in protein, and the ideal alternative to classic unhealthy chips.
10. Fat Snax Almond Flour Crackers: These low carb crackers have minimal and simple ingredients for a healthy alternative to big brand name crackers.
Is Popcorn Keto Friendly?
You might be wondering, is popcorn okay for the keto diet?
This is a very valid question, considering people always say that popcorn is the healthiest
snack at the movie theatre. But it doesn’t mean it is the healthiest for your keto diet.
The answer is, not really.
Let me explain.
Popcorn is moderately high in carbohydrates, but also whole grain, providing many different fibers.
Now movie theatre popcorn is even more packed with carbohydrates, especially
when drizzled with artificially flavored butter that comes out of a pump.
Realistically speaking, movie theatre popcorn can be some of the unhealthiest popcorn you can have,
especially if you sprinkle it with extra flavors such as cheddar and butter.
So even though it is a fiber food, popcorn is simply not keto friendly and can easily kick you out of ketosis at the movie theatre.
As it is a snack with very minimal positive contents, it is best to avoid it, especially if being purchased at the movie theatre.
If you are desperately craving popcorn on the keto diet, your best option is to cook one single cup of
popcorn kernels with coconut oil and have that instead.
This would be your healthiest option which you can easily enjoy once in a while.
Top 5 Popcorn Keto Alternatives:
So since popcorn is not in your keto menu, what other alternatives do you have?
Well, many actually! Here are my top 5 favorite keto-friendly alternatives to popcorn for the movie theatre:
- Keto Popcorn Cheese Puffs: All you need for this delicious snack is to cut up some cheddar cheese into cubes, let it dry out for 24 hours, and bake for around 5 minutes or until puffed up.
- Cauliflower Bites: Simply chop up some cauliflower, and cover in your favorite sauce and cook. Some examples are buffalo sauce, chili power, or taco seasoning.
- Pepperoni Chips: Being one of the easiest recipes there is, all you have to do is pop some pepperoni to cook in the oven, and snack on it when cooked!
- Cucumber Chips: Slice up come cucumbers, cover in apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, and any other seasoning you like, and pop in the oven to cook until brown and crunchy.
- Roasted Almonds: Simply cover some raw almonds in your favorite seasoning such as onion powder and avocado oil, and cook in the over for a healthy popcorn snack alternative!
The 5 Best Keto Chips:
Let’s say that you are really in the mood to snack on chips rather than popcorn.
Well perfectly, there are many different delicious brands which make keto friendly chips!
Here are my top picks:
- From The Ground UP Cauliflower Tortilla Chips: Gluten free, low in sugar, and are packed with healthy ingredients.
- Quest Keto Tortilla Chips: Low in carbs and packed with protein.
- Flock Chicken Chips: Super low in carbs, high in protein, and 0 sugars.
- 4504 Chicharrones Fried Pork Rinds: Free of carbs, these are the ideal keto friendly pork rind snacks.
- Genius Gourmet Keto Snack Chips: No sugars and high in protein.
DIY Movie Theatre Keto Chips:
Sometimes the most tasty option is the one which you can easily cook up in your own kitchen!
My personal favorite are tortilla chips, and here is an easy at home recipe:
Ingredients you need:
- Blanched Almond Flour
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Spices of your choice
All you need to do is mix your blanched almond flour with melted mozzarella cheese (pop into the microwave to melt) and your choice of spices.
Mix thoroughly until a thick dough forms.
Roll out the dough, cut into small triangular shapes, and bake until browned.
Easy, simple, and absolutely delicious!
The Take Away:
Popcorn is evidently not the most keto-friendly snack, especially the microwave or movie theatre versions.
Microwavable popcorn is packed with unhealthy preservatives, where move theatre popcorn is topped with unhealthy extras.
You should seriously avoid these options as just one serving of a small box can easily kick you out of ketosis.
It is not worth throwing away all of your hard work for some unhealthy popcorn during a movie night.
Fortunately, there are plenty of alternatives to popcorn, either home-made tasty recipes,
or pre-made snacks at your local grocery store.
Either alternative is better than popcorn itself, and will make sure you keep your
body in ketosis and on the right track for weight loss.
If you absolutely crave to eat popcorn, go for the homemade version of one cup serving
popped kernels over the stove with some avocado oil.
If you go for this option, make sure to be counting your carbs and minimizing your other
daily carb consumptions so you can fit this quick snack in as well.
As your body gets used to ketosis, it is normal to crave such snacks.
The goal is to fight these cravings, and adapt your body to keto friendly snacks along your journey.